Sunday, October 9, 2011

Make This, Not That

I can't remember the last time I made something exactly like the pattern used, I tend to get more creative with it, take liberties and make improvements... or I just flat out change the shape of certain pieces using the pattern as a base so I don't have to draft my own from scratch (I never said I wasn't a lazy crafter)
My most recent commission was to make a full set of Renn Garb for a friend of mine (I LOVE sewing for her, she gives me lots of liberties with design and color and such; so much fun!) she picked out some patterns she liked the last time she was in town and then let me pick which ones to use this time. I went with a pants, shirt, and overdress look and went to find fabric (walking through the fabric store with a headset on talking to someone is hilarious, especially when you purposely cover the headset with your hair. hehehe) I found this lovely brocade for the overdress and then matched pants and shirt fabric to it. She had said she wanted to move away from all blacks so I went with a rich plum and a chocolaty brown, I also found trim (both in black, but it worked)

this is the pattern I had in mind for the shirt

mostly for the neckline, but she wanted bell sleeves on it, which I can make happen easy as you please.
I altered the main body of the shirt down to fit her

and then altered the sleeves

next came the pants. The pattern I used for those was a basic pajama pants pattern that was WAY too large for her, but since I didn't get to measure her myself (usually a problem) I went with overly large because it is so much easier to reduce the size than to increase it. I still altered them a little, but most of it happened when I was fitting them on her.

And then came the overdress...

I had guessed at how much trim it would need for the neck and ended up with quite a bit more than I actually needed, this turned out to be fortuitous though, because I was able to do a bit of detail with the trim that I otherwise might not have thought to do.

and the whole thing together.

Now for a towel update! It  is coming along nicely, if I do say so myself. It's kind of funny, this project tends to go to beer related functions with me (possibly because it will belong to Matt) it went to Oktoberfest and yesterday it went to the Flying Saucer's BeerFeast.

This weeks batch of Spartans hold #s 34, 35, and 36. All of which are homeless (the first of many batches of homeless guys, I'm sure)

34, his name is Bacai

35, his name is Metronus

36, his name is Azilious

that's it for this week kids, I'm going to go crochet til I wanna cry now, I've completely lost the lead I had on these guys (that's why the blog is posting so late today, I had to finish putting the Spartans together this morning. I'm working on getting ahead again) See you next week!

P.S. If you happen to have a spare virtual dollar, consider donating it to the Help Jessica Crochet Faster Fund, the faster i get these guys finished the sooner you get to have your chosen number... just sayin


  1. I lurve bacai...he's all smirky! He can live with me if he wants to..... =)

  2. Lovely outfit. I like the trim pattern and the fit of the overdress.