Monday, October 31, 2011

The Epic Halloween Special!

Here it is, the promised Epic Halloween Special Special Special Special

Matt and I decided to have complementary costumes (as couples are want to do) and we chose to Steampunk Alice and the Mad Hatter.
Matt had many pieces that just alterations or modifications (lucky bastard) I on the other hand had not much (stockings, goggles, bloomers, and shoes... really can't go out in just those things, it is frowned upon)
And so set about making things.

First! Matt needed a waistcoat and I found some spectacular fabric in my stash and I even had lining fabric on hand. He also needed a cravat, and being the Mad Hatter all his fabrics need to be a bit mismatched but still coordinating, I found some great material in a green that went with the colors of the waistcoat, over coat and pants and cravats are sooooo very easy to make.

Matt got drafted to sew on the many buttons (for both his and my new pieces)
I had to alter a pair of pants Matt has had since his caroling days and I ended up taking 6 inches out of the seat of his pants (can I get a DAYUM!) I also had to alter his coat, which is a piece of shyte work he's had for a good long while and never done anything with because it is a piece of shyte. From a Seamstress' standpoint the work on this thing was so shoddy I'd never let anyone I cared about out the door in it... at least not until I could fix what I could and make it hang right.
The sleeves before looked like this

and now the sleeves after

I had to alter the shoulders and the back pleats as well, unfortunately those did not alter as well as the sleeves.

Here he is in all his Mad Hattery glory
the modifications on the goggles are all his work

Now onto my all new costume!

I used this pattern as a base
I decided to go with the classic light blue that is most associated with Alice in Wonderland and went with brown, rather than back, as the contrast. I also shortened the skirt and coat hems to go for a more girlish look.

I made a cheaty face petticoat to give my skirt some poof.

surprisingly the bustier did not require boning, I made it tight enough that it stayed put on it's own.
I decided the coat did not need sleeves, but I didn't get to adorn the like I wanted due to lack of time and energy to finish it (I'll get there at some point)
 I did the buttonholes at around 11:30 the night before I needed this costume and when I had finished the first one I realized it was a bit crooked, so instead of getting upset and trying to redo it I just made all of the buttonholes match and it turned out alright

And I love that the coat has functional pockets

and of course I had to have a bag to go along with this, since Matt's costume didn't have any pockets
unfortunately I didn't think to have someone take a picture of the two of us together, but there will be other opportunities, we plan to wear these pretty much anytime we get the chance to. (I might even put it on for tonight to give candy to trick-or-treaters) I'll be sure and feature any additions we made in the future.

Hope you enjoyed the Epic Halloween Special Special Special Special

I'll have Spartans for you again next week.
Have a crafty day everyone!

1 comment: